Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 233: The Cavalry...

There comes a time in all our lives when moments seem the darkest, when we're at our ropes end, the enemy is closing in and our own annihilation seems inevitable.  At those moments when all seems lost a savior appears over the horizon.  Completely unexpected but bringing hope and salvation to our dismal predicament, they save us in ways words can't describe. 

In an attempt to keep what few readers I have let me be brief.  It's been a difficult month for my wife having to care for her father who recently went through life threatening surgery.  Adversity presented itself in a way that was entirely unexpected and directly affected her ability to attend to her father's recovery.  But when all things seemed to fall apart, two men appeared in her life, men she's known since she was a little girl, to lend her a helping hand. 

They didn't do it to curry favor or win points with the "Big Guy".  They did it because they could, because they wanted to, because they saw someone in need and without question or agenda reached out to help.  Just try and tell me God doesn't perform miracles.  Their generosity was much more than the tangible assistance they provided.  Their unconditional compassion goes beyond words.  I think we all want to do the right thing and would like to see ourselves as generous and loving people but I know we struggle with that.  At least I do.  Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough to give to others and I might hold back from time to time.  I look at these two men and I realize I have a long way to go to be the kind of person I expect myself to be. 

We don't have to be rich to be generous.  Compassion doesn't always come in the form of money.  Just reaching out to help someone in any small measure is a grand gesture.  You never know.  That one, small seemingly insignificant act may be the one thing that truly saves someone.  Every once in a while we need the cavalry to come in and save the day.  But, lest we forget, WE need to be the cavalry, too.   

So, MOUNT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment