Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 219: Confessions of a photographer...

So this afternoon I was scrambling to find something interesting for today's blog.  I cruised over to Boulder, my go-to spot, thinking I might get a good landscape shot especially with all the storm clouds coming and going.  I was chatting with Julie while I was spying a nice shot of Chautauqua and I mentioned to her there was a young couple there who were probably getting their engagement portraits done.  We joked about how much of a challenge that is and she gave me the idea to write/photograph about that.  

Alright, I freely admit, I REALLY don't like shooting portraits.  And I'll tell you right now it's only because it REALLY makes me nervous.  Now that doesn't mean I don't like shooting people (with a camera, that is).  I just internalize a tremendous amount of pressure to get the picture right.  The Boulder Flatirons are what they are.  Sure it's nice if I can capture a shot that's a little more unique than the tourist snapshot but for the most part there's little to do but take in this natural beauty.  People, on the other hand, are a major challenge.  It's all about proper lighting, flattering poses, putting them in and keeping them in a good mood.  But the unnerving part is they're always looking at you.  Somehow I think they must smell the fear in me, like a horse or a dog does.  I'm not 100% confident in what I'm doing and I feel like they must be thinking, "this guy's a wreck." 

Now I'm pretty good as a second shooter, preferring to "snipe" my shots.  Julie does all the hard work getting them posed and relaxed.  All I have to do is step back at an angle and I can usually get some really nice candid shots.  When it comes to leader/follower in portrait photography, I'm definitely the follower.  She can take the least attractive person and make them look gorgeous.  I, on the other hand, can take an exceptionally attractive person and make them look hideous. I don't know, it's a gift.  I guess with all the landscape shots I take it's no wonder I make people look like rocks. 

My wife Julie, who's also my mentor, is exceptionally gifted at shooting portraits and I've learned so much from her.  I know what needs to be done when taking portraits.  I can't tell you how many times I've looked over at other photographers while they're shooting someone and I'm thinking, "oh, man, you need a diffuser... oh, just bounce a little light up in their eyes.... DON'T pose her like that, you're making her look fat!"  But taking charge of a portrait photo session is a bit daunting for me.  But if you ever need an assistant, I'm your man.  I have no problem shaming myself into making kids and adults laugh.  I'm pretty exceptional with diffusing and bouncing light.  And I'm very good at finding the stray hairs, the wrinkle collar or the twisted necklace.  Ladies, trust me, I'm NOT looking at your breasts.  I'm just trying to make sure everything about you is perfect. Trust me, you'll appreciate it when you see the prints.

But if I had to choose, I'll take boulders over babes any day. 


Post Script - Day 3 of being the single guy and I'm officially over turkey sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment