Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 231: "Warriors.... come out and plaaaaaay"

Yeah, we did it!  The 2012 Colorado Warrior Dash is in the books.  What a blast.  Ran it with my daughter Nicole, it was her first time.  Man, if you ever want to relive your childhood, do the Dash.  Climbing over stuff like the old jungle gyms we use to play on, splashing around in mud but no mom to get mad at you.  Awesome! 

Alright, just one negative and let me vent that and be done with it.  One of the obstacles was a tunnel crawl.  A very small tunnel crawl.  Yes, if you're a little claustrophobic you won't like this.  I get a little touch of it now and then but as part of this race, I wanted to do this crawl.  The problem was there were only three tunnels and HUNDREDS of runners.  By the time Nicole and I got to this obstacle we were standing around for over 10 minutes and the lines hardly moved.  We both gave each other this look of "screw it" and we bypassed this one challenge but we did the rest.  Next time, race coordinator, set up at least six tunnels and save one of them for fast movers.  In the good old days there would've been a Drill Sargent screaming at you to move or in the WAY old days an Egyptian task master whipping you.  Ah, memories....

But the rest of the race was awesome.  Rope climbs up a wall, cargo nets, mesh netting, barbed wire.  LOVE it!  Only thing that would've made it better is if there were grenade and artillery simulators and someone shooting at you.  I will say the mud pit was my favorite.  I don't know what it is but I love sloppoing around in the mud.  Must have been a pig in my previous life.  Hey, some resorts make you pay top dollar to get chunks of mud up your "nether yeahyah".  This year it was the last obstacle versus being one of the first.  I guess they thought it was a safety issue because last year all the obstacles following the mud pit were covered in slick mud.  Hey, it's the Warrior Dash.  Sure someone might get hurt.  Maybe someone won't  come home.  Instead of boo hoo'ing about it, think of it as thinning the herd. 

After we collected our medals it was off to the showers.  Public showers, that is.  Amazing how in any other circumstance folks are quite shy about exposing themselves.  A panty line or slightly visible underwear strap is enough to make nearly anyone blush in shame.  But at the Warrior "Bath" no one seems to care.  Well, except for that 12 year old boy staring at that busty woman with water and mud cascading down her body.  Hey, when you've got significant portions of the Rocky Mountains in every conceivable crack of your body and beer and turkey legs waiting for you at the concert grounds, you pretty much could care less what or who's exposed.  "Bring me my ale, wench!"

So a great day, except I'm still missing my Julie.  I wish she could've been there.  You'll have to excuse the quality of these pictures.  She would've done so much better.  I can't wait until she comes home.

So, next year.  Who's with me??


No comments:

Post a Comment