Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 221: Perspective...

I'm loving this new lens I rented through BorrowLenses.com.  The fisheye lens is so cool and really brings out a whole new perspective on things.  Hard to pull myself away from my favorite lens, the 17-40mm wide angle, but this fisheye opens up a fresh point of view that I otherwise miss by always using my same old lens.

I freely admit I'm a creature of habit and I have a hard time budging from my perch from where I look upon the world and cast my judgements.  I know, it's bad enough that I do judge things and people from time to time but certainly what makes it worse is that I sometimes fail to move from my perch and look at things from a different perspective.  My judgements and assessments all tend to come from one angle and I'll never see things or people for what they are unless I'm willing to step down from my throne, step out my comfort zone, and try to see things from a different point of view.  I hear people rant and I struggle to understand why they feel the way they do.  Unless I'm willing to do something about it my struggles will continue.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes", a somewhat overused cliche but it does ring true.  Instead of coming to a quick judgement as to why that co-worker is coming off like such an ass or why your kids lash out at you, take the time to understand where they're coming from.  We need to recognize that there's something motivating that behavior and unless we understand what that is all we'll do is feed their anger and just make matters worse.  Sure it means taking the high road and taking a punch, figuratively, but in the end it'll help calm that anger and give assurance to that person that you do care and understand.

It's a struggle, I'll admit but someone has to take that first step.  Hey, sometimes the view is better from another perch.

No comments:

Post a Comment