Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 88: Old Town...



I suppose one of these days when I travel to "Boston" I'll actually spend time in the city.  Whenever I go to New England I'm usually in the Waltham, Billerica area.  When folks ask me where I'm going, it's easier to say "Boston" since most everyone knows Boston.  When I say "Billerica" I get looks as if lobsters are crawling out of my ears.  It goes without saying there are tons of photo ops in the great city of Boston.  But there's just as much if not more in all the towns and hamlets that surround Boston. 

One of the things I look forward to the most is traveling on the tattered, nearly single lane roads that pitch and yaw through a maze of ominous trees, rolling countryside and old villages.  Nature obvioulsy dictated where the roads went as opposed to most towns where roads are cut in straight lines, regardless of the landmark.  I will warn you, if you have any difficulty in navigation, you'll most definitely get lost traveling around the New England area.  There's no left or right turns.  Everything is veer this way, bend that way.  Really gotta pay attention.  "Siri, where the hell am I?"

I suppose it's an East Coast thing but there is so much history every where you turn.  You look at some of these small towns and I suspect they've changed very little over the last 200 years with the exception of a few paved roads and a new roof or two.  There are historical landmarks all over the place.  "Paul Revere's horse dropped a duece here.", "Bunch of Brits got bitch-slapped here" or "A Bosox fan committed suicide here" (that was before they won their first World Series).  I love it.  So much character.  So much charm.  I never get tired of this area.

So when you come to Boston, by all means visit Boston Commons.  Go to a Sox game.  And if you really want to go touristy, check out Cheers (Bull & Finch is the real name, it's the one you see on TV).  But if you really want to experience the Boston area, visit the outline towns.  You won't be disappointed. 

By the way, does that house look creepy or what?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment