Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 64: Hills...

Training for the Mt. Evans Ascent has been coming along nicely.  My miles have picked up, with times getting quicker, heart rate is lower.  Natalie continues to be the bane of my existence as well as my inspiration.  The cardio/fitness routines she's been dolling out have me ready to take on a new challenge.  Today was another step in my preparation.  Went into Boulder, to Chautauqua Park to start some hill training.  My goal for today was to "run" up Baseline road, up to Realization Point/parking lot.  I say "run" because it was really more an "airborne shuffle".  I started from the Chautauqua Park parking lot and made my way up Baseline.  It was certainly slow going, with VERY heavy winds and pretty damn cold.  Other than stopping once to take a picture and slowing down briefly to give the right of way to two deer, I was able to run all the way to the top without stopping.  The results from today's run gives me the confidence that I can handle the hills.  The real challenge will be the elevation.  Mt. Evans is twice the elevation of Baseline so how well I handle the lack of O2 will be key.  

No comments:

Post a Comment