Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 74: Fundamentals...


I have to admit for years I've shied away from tattoos.  Figured only toothless bikers or folks with very low self-esteem had them.  Yeah, I was a pretty judgmental guy back in the day.  But I'll be honest I did admire some of the imaginative designs.  And there were times I entertained the idea of getting one but I recall the older guys, who got tattoos in their 20s, now in their 50's and 60's, have seen those magnificent pieces of artwork turn into green and blue warshak ink blots.
 
But now I'm turning 50 and I've had a lot of time to reflect on and assess the experiences of my life and for some reason it seemed like the appropriate time to get some body art.  So.... what to choose.  No arm bands, not funky looking dragons or half-naked women.  It had to be something with some personal meaning.  What came to me were words.  Or perhaps, virtues.  Over the years I've tried to define myself as one thing or another.  From high school to now, I've adorned my personality with a lot of different "titles" - father, husband, military officer, marathoner, etc.  But there is something more fundamental that defines me and I would suspect, defines a great many of you as well.  

I came up with "Love", "Faith" and "Perseverance".  They are my triad, like Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  For me all things begin and end with Love.  It should define all of us.  Our motivations and actions should all come from a foundation of Love.  Love for one another, Love for our surroundings, Love for the life we have.  "Faith" was another obvious choice.  Whether Christian, Muslim or Jew or whatever, it seems obvious to me that we give ourselves to a higher order, that no matter what we face in life, good or bad, our Faith keeps us whole and connected.  "Perseverance" was my final choice and I would like to think it's probably the one true characteristic that defines me.  Perseverance, for me, is telling yourself that where you are now is NOT the finish line.  You may be in a rocky relationship, or having trouble at work or school.  Perhaps you're struggling with a goal of some kind.  No matter what the circumstance, this moment is NOT your finish line.  This is NOT the time to quit.  Persevere through those hardships because the greater glory that awaits you is down that road you're on. 

So, here's my bumper sticker.  Not quite "Baby On Board", but it certainly carries a message.

PS - Why Japanese symbols?  Because I lived there once, MANY years ago.  Why my left leg?  Because I'm left footed and it's the strongest of the two legs.  How did I choose the order of those words?  All things start with Love.  Faith is at our center.  Perseverance is down at the grind stone of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. i love it!! :] all the meaning it has to it is amazing. miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete