Thursday, September 20, 2012

Day 264: Gimmie gimmie...

What is it about people wanting handouts that pisses me off?  Certainly not very Christian of me.  It's not to say I wouldn't help a person in need but I'll admit I do discriminate.  I'm all for helping those who are struggling to help themselves and ignoring those wallowing in their own self-pity.  It's very simple folks, if it's not important enough for you to make an effort to change your circumstances, then why the hell should it be important to me?

In this election year much of the arguments seem to center around whether to cut financial assistance programs or blindly divvy out money to anyone who wants it.  I don't consider myself a Republican or a Democrat so don't label me.  I'm all in favor of providing financial aid to the single parent holding down a couple of jobs and trying to get an education.  I'm also very much in favor of cutting financial aid to the unemployed drug user or the single mom drawing unemployment benefits while she pops out kids like a Pez dispenser.  Folks that already have it made don't need any extra benefits, especially when shrouded in the mantra of "to help the economy".  The rich don't need to be made richer nor do the uninspired poor don't need to be enabled.

It was beaten into me as a child to take responsibility for my own life.  I know I've ranted on this topic before but it needs repeating.  I sat on a conference call this afternoon and had to listen to a couple of folks whining about how corporate needs to provide assistance in communicating new directives down to their respective businesses.  These same businesses have their own communications staffs and have abundant resources to do the job on their own but are expecting a handout from corporate to make their lives easier.  They've been provide the new policies, implementation guidelines and FAQs on the subject but still they expect corporate to do the work for them.  Where did that sense of responsibility go?  How do they not feel a sense of shame for having to seek assistance for something they can easily do on their own?  For me it's a matter of pride.  I can't begin to imagine how it must feel to have no pride or shame.  I think I'd prefer to live in squalor retaining my integrity then to live in the lap of luxury, unable to look in a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment