Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 256: On the radio...

 
"When you need a place to live and no one understands you.
And all you want to do.
Is to cry out loud.
But you don't know how.
No way, no-one,
No-one understands.
The hand that strikes.
When just a touch of love is all the problem needed,
And when you hurt someone so much that still they die loving you.
And all you want to do,
Is to cry out loud.
But you don't know how..."

Seal
Deep Water

Seal has been one of my favorite artists since back in the early '90s.  I remember reading a response he made to a question regarding the meaning of his lyrics.  If you've ever really listened to some of his songs his lyrics aren't what you might call typical.  You might even think they don't really make sense.  I know we're all pretty use to lyrics that tell a story of some kind.  His response to the question, and I'm really paraphrasing here, was that the lyrics aren't meant to be taken literal.  It was his hope that they spark a thought or emotion and that it was up to the listener to determine what those lyrics meant to them personally.  His songs have a very deep meaning to me.  They definitely spark emotions within me and they also very much remind me of specific times in my life, especially those above.  I think we all share a common feeling about music, that it takes us back to a certain time or brings out different emotions. Weird to think some of Seal's music is over 20 years old but for me they still stand the test of time.  Hey, but I'm not always this moody shlep, I do like my K.C. and the Sunshine Band and Aerosmith, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment