Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 247: Take, eat. This bread is given to you...

So what day did God create sourdough bread?  I mean it has to rank right up there with creating heaven and earth and it's gotta rank higher than creating Adam because he/we are certainly a work in progress.  But sourdough bread.... if I had to choose only one thing that I could eat for the rest of my life it would be sourdough bread.  Sure, I'd miss pizza, a Morton's filet and mac n' cheese, but if I was in solitary confinement, restricted to a bread and water diet, if that bread was sourdough I would be in heaven!  I would have to say one of my many blessings in life would be that I come from a family that was born and raised in the beautiful bay area of San Francisco, the Mecca of sourdough bread.  Being raised on San Francisco sourdough has raised the bar that all other breads struggle to match.

There are many kinds of sourdough.  Some come close to capturing the pure delicious essence of this major food group but none quite as well as the Parisian bread that is found, among other places, at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.  I can remember during my college days heading up to city to see my folks at the Presidio and going down to the wharf for the day to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.  I'd stop by Fisherman's wharf, pick up a round loaf of sourdough, a small bottle of wine and sit on the pier people watching, listening to the seagulls and fog horns and be completely content.  What could be better?  Ok, add in some excellent cheddar, some salami, and a full body cab and you've got the makings of a feast that could only be described as divine intervention.  And speaking of divine...

Doxology revised...

Praise God from whom all bread does flow....
Praise Him for creating sourdough...
Praise Him because I love it so.....
Praise Father, Son and sourdough....
Amen....

No comments:

Post a Comment