Friday, September 14, 2012

Day 258: Saying goodbye...

I haven't experienced many funerals in my life.  Today we said good by to a wonderful mother to dear friends of ours.  I admit it's an awkward time for me because I really don't know what I should say, do or act.  So often we want to be able to provide an answer, be the solution to any problem but in situations where we need to say goodbye I'm truly at a loss.  If there's anything I'm really horrible at, it's saying goodbye.



It was a wonderful Catholic service.  I only point that out because I I like and appreciate the solemness and reverence that is typically found in your more fundamental Christian services.  Today I saw a different part of my friends I hadn't seen before.  I have an even deeper respect and admiration for how they conducted themselves throughout this event.  I'm one of the few fortunates that hasn't lost a parent so I can't begin to understand how they feel and I have no idea how I'll conduct myself when that time comes.  Today I saw a warmth and depth I never knew.  Even with all this sorrow there was a strength and dignity in them I could only hope to emulate when that time comes for me.  I suppose that exists in all of us but seldom do circumstances arise where that comes out.  

Today I was a spectator and as much as I like being center of attention today I'm thankful I was just a fly on the wall to witness such a heartfelt gathering of those sharing both grief and loving memories of someone so dear in their lives and hearts.  Today was really a metaphor for life.  The peaks and valleys.  The sorrow and joy.  All of it was reminisced and shared among family and friends.  All I can say is I'm truly blessed for being included with such a loving family.

Patricia, you've left a lasting legacy full of love and joy.  Thank you for letting us be a part of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment