Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 251: Reflection...

Disclaimer - for my hiking buddies, this isn't going to be a typical trip report.  :-)

It's been 24 hours since summiting Longs Peak so I've had a little time to reflect on things.  No chance I wouldn't remember what I did because I woke up this morning racked with soreness, some aching joints and bruises as well as stinging cuts and scrapes.  But I'm glad I have them.  I consider them badges of honor.

I'm always happy when I reach the summit of a 14er.  A lot of times it's that inner gratification you feel when you've accomplished something.  Sometimes it's just a sense of relief, like "Finally!"  But getting to the top of Longs was something different.  I thought when I reached the summit I'd be all excited as if I'd scored the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl.  I was all ready to thump my chest and proclaim my victory.  But when I finally made it to the top I was overcome with a lot of emotion.  I'm not sure why but I think it's because unlike any other Colorado 14er, this one is literally right outside my door and it reminded me every day since I've moved here that I had yet to climb it.  Even though I saw this mountain every day I guess deep down inside there was this detachment, as if it's over there and I'm here, living in completely different worlds. A dream versus reality, or something like that.  But being on that summit brought everything together.  It finally connected me with this magnificent mountain that was separated by a sea of "woulda, coulda, shoulda" for the past three years.  As I stood atop the summit I felt incredibly humbled by the moment, almost like standing on hallowed ground.  Sorry, I know that sounds a little melodramatic.

It was quite a journey to finally make it to the top.  Starting out at 1:00AM was definitely a first for me.  Never did a night hike before but WOW was the night sky spectacular.  The hike didn't seem nearly as long getting up to what's called the "Keyhole".  I guess when you can't see much you don't realize how far you've gone or have to go.  Personally I consider the Keyhole the half way point even though it's only a mile from there to the summit (the route is 14 miles round trip).  The really interesting stuff happens after you move past the Keyhole.  By the time we reached that point the winds were insane.  Jim and I looked at each other wondering if we should proceed.  After venturing around the Keyhole we realized the winds dropped off significantly so we decided to press on.  I won't go into the details of the route but I have a VERY deep respect and reverence towards that mountain.  I could see how easy, incredibly easy, it would be for someone to lose their footing and subsequently lose their life.  I had my own little scare as we made our way past the ledges towards the "Trough".  Trying to negotiate around an outcropping of a boulder I lost my grip and slide rather hard down a few feet before I caught myself.  My left shin and knee took the brunt of it.  Suffice to say I issued quite a number of colorful metaphors.  The blood seeping through my pants let me know I dinged things up a bit.  As for other firsts, this was my first class 3 hike.  According to 14ers.com, class 3 basically means you'll be on all fours climbing and "scrambling" over rocks and boulders.  Boy, I tell ya, that was really exhilarating!  I've never really done that before and I will say it was a lot of fun.  But the thing I had to keep in the back of my mind as I was heading for the summit, "Yeah, it's fun scrambling up this mountain.  Don't forget you still have to come down." 

And fortunately we did make it down.  Mostly in one piece.  Today I'll be nursing my wounds.  I know in time the aches and pains will eventually subside but I will always cherish the opportunity I had to stand atop Longs Peak.  It was quite an adventure and one I'll always be grateful. 

....Just don't ask me to do it again any time soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment