Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 254: My own medicine...

One of the best pieces of advice I give to my runner friends who are looking for that next big challenge, like running a half or full marathon, is to have something planned after the big event.  I don't mean the huge beer and pizza bash celebrating their achievement.  That's a given.  I mean having something on your personal agenda you'll need to plan for, something you have to focus your mental and physical energies towards.  The reason for that is simple.  It's preventative medicine for the inevitable depression that quickly follows your major achievement.  Trust me, I know.

My first ever Half Ironman triathlon was a prime example.  For months I prepared for that race, devoting so much time and energy and sacrificing a big junk of my personal life in order to accomplish my goal.  Completing the race was exhilarating but within just a couple of days I was in a death spiral of depression.  It took me a while to realize it was due to the fact I had built myself up for this significant event and once it was over everything was gone except the memory of crossing that finish line.  Gone was a way of life I lived for six months.  Gone was the focus and determination.  It was like being adrift at sea with no wind and no direction.  Well you'd think this veteran of 30 marathons, countless triathlons, as well as other personal goals would've been ready for what followed Longs Peak.  I really don't have anything on my plate with the exception of the winter snow boarding season (assuming Mother Nature gets off her ass this year and gives us some real snow).  I guess I just didn't think Longs would have the same affect on me that doing an Ironman or Double Century in Death Valley did. 

Thank you to my Julie for picking up on my little mood swing.  Didn't really occur to me that I was in a funk but she's pretty intuitive and felt the vibe right off.  So for now I guess the trick is to find meaning in the things that make up my day to day life.  That doesn't mean I'm going to get all giddy over conference calls or filling out monthly reports, but it will mean I'll be open to opportunities that present themselves to me.  It's all about finding that next great adventure in your life.

PS - So coming down the mountain on Thursday I swore I'd never do Longs again.  Would you believe?  Just like the woman giving birth.  In the hospital she swears she'll never have another child.  Give her a while and she's thinking, "Ah, it wasn't all that bad."   Longs Peak in 2013?  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment