Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 43: I am Wolfgang!



Back when we were living in Irvine, Ca, I use to go to 24HR Fitness (at all hours).  There was this one older man I use to see nearly every day.  Ok, I'm the same age now that he was then.  Any way this guy, Wolfgang, would pull up in his tricked out triathlon racing bike.  He'd quickly rack and lock his bike, toss his membership card to the receptionist and run to the nearest treadmill.

What came next was a frenzied workout like nothing I'd seen before.  He would sprint for a couple minutes on the treadmill, hop off, sprint to a weight machine and frantically press out 10 to 15 reps, then sprint to another machine, then another, and then another, then back to the treadmill, a few more weight machines, a stairclimber, back to the treadmill, more weights.... I get tired just rethinking it.  As quickly as he arrived, he was off on his bike, most likely to put in an easy 50 before he worked out later that afternoon.

So now I live in Colorado.  I go to Fitness 19 and have this amazing trainer that always seems to have me do more than I think is possible.  Every time I meet with Natalie she sets up a new exercise routine that puts the previous one to shame.  Recently she put me on one that consisted of multiple groupings of exercises, each includes a sprint on the treadmill.  Each group of exercises is done three times with little to no rest in between.  Ok I'll admit, when Natalie's not around, I'll sneak in a few seconds to catch my breath.  So, after a good 45 minutes of this madness I'm just a heaping blob of sweat.  I came home from my workout and told Julie all about the latest beating I received from Task Master Natalie.  Julie laughed and said, "Oh my God, you're Wolfgang!"  Took me a second to register the comment and then a slow smile grew across my face.  I guess I am Wolfgang.  Not sure I'm nearly as fit now as he was then but it certainly is something I can try to live up to.

..... unless Natalie does me in.  I sometimes can't help but wonder if she's conspiring with my wife to split my life insurance.  :-\

No comments:

Post a Comment