Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 32: Mortality...


Wow, when did I get old??  I've been walking around all this time thinking I'm still this man-child of 18, invincible, strong, able to do pretty much anything I want.  But now look at me?  Glasses.  I'm back to wearing glasses.  And reading glasses for that matter.  The kind that sit at the end of my nose so I can read but still look up to catch the scores on TV.  I kid you not, it was literally a little over a month ago that all of a sudden I had to wear these damn reading glasses ALL THE TIME.  And because they're not bifocals I'm constantly bobbing my head up and down like a frickin' pigeon just to see what's right in front of me.  It's really hard to hold onto your mojo when you have to say "excuse me" while you pull out your glasses so you can read the dinner bill. 

I'm beginning to understand the evolutionary path I'm on to becoming a grumpy, old man.  Everything is breaking down.  My eyes, my knees, pretty much every part of my body.  I don't recover nearly as fast from a hard work out as I used to.  I can remember as a teenager, spending a week up in the Alps skiing, every day, ALL day.  And every night we'd party it up at a local gasthaus and be right back on the slopes bright and early the next morning.  Now I look for an excuse to call it a day by noon.  And I visit the bathroom so often I have Executive Platinum status.  Unfortunately they don't serve food or drinks on that "seat".  And when the evening comes and it's time to get a little "hmmm baby", I'm whining about how tired I am.  Suffice to say my wife is none too pleased.

So what can you do?  Wear the glasses. Change to boxers.  "Cork the bat".  I guess whatever it takes to stave off the final chapter of my own mortality.  Now if we could just get those punk kids to turn down their stereos....
 

2 comments:

  1. Could not have said it better. This from a man who just became a grandfather for the 6th time. WHAT the !#%$@#%!! I still remember (thankfully) when my son's were born. Now I'm a grandfather?? Well at least I'm still able to get in a 4.5 mile walk each morning. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete