Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 44: Failed Hunt...


Well, this afternoon I had to brave the wilderness that is Walmart.  Maybe it's just me but I cringe every time I have to go there.  Ok, let me be fair to Walmart.  I cringe every time I have to go to any shopping center, even the places I like (i.e. Sports Authority, Best Buy, Total Beverages).  I think I feel a bit overwhelmed every time I step into one of those places.  There's so much of everything.  And most of it is just crap that's in the way of me getting to what I came for in the first place.  And I'm not just talking products.  I'm also referring to the other hunter/gatherers that go there as well. 

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (too late), there's a lot I can't stand about shopping.  Too many sales people asking me if I need help when I don't.  No sales reps when I need something.  The people that insist on bringing their seven children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors, all sauntering around as if this store is some kind of museum of natural history.  MOVE PEOPLE!  I just want to get my one, frickin' item and be gone.  Believe it or not I'm trying to do you a favor by getting out of YOUR way so I can get on with my life.  Nothing against you, I'm sure you're all wonderful people.  I just don't want to be a part of your day.

And the inventory.  Rows and rows of "stuff" (trying to be nice here) that wouldn't even sell at a garage sale.  Most stores always seem to have every conceivable, random piece of "stuff" but NEVER what I'm looking for.  This inevitably forces me to engage with the local help.  And I use the word "help" very loosely.  Trying to explain where I can find a particular widget usually takes me down the path of "Uh bahhh, hmm, ah, let me, ah, check".  Thirty minutes later, after several calls over the loud speaker, a few clicks on the computer, playing follow the leader through the maze of displays, a few more calls, some blood samples, rubbing chicken bones together, and a few chants, I'm finally told, "looks like we don't carry it.  Want me to call another store?"  NOOOOOOOOO!  I settle upon the realization that once again I've failed in my attempt to acquire a simple little widget.  One that remains elusive to this very day. 

So for now, I'll sit here with the Holy Grail, Jimmy Hoffa and Big Foot and plan my next hunt.  Better luck next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment