Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Taking the High Road...



I sometimes wonder at what point, when we aspire to "take the high road", does integrity become shame?  Hey folks, I don't pretend to know the answer.  That's why I'm asking.  As far back as our childhood we've been challenged with "taking the high road", to be a better person, when we feel that things are working against us.  Kinda goes back to the whole "turn the other cheek" thing.  How many times do we have to be slapped in the face until we decide to say "enough"?

I really don't know the answer.  There are times when I think I'm "taking the high road", avoiding confrontation, trying not to sink to someone else's level.  After a while I feel this imbalance inside me.  I can only attribute it to a conflict I feel between my desire to turn my back on another person's misplaced aggression and my need to maintain my personal integrity.  I know myself well enough that my knee-jerk reaction is to pop someone when they've hurt me and I've spent years trying to overcome that.  But, man, there are times, after taking so many punches to the chin that I have to say enough is enough!  Remember that classic line from "The Untouchables"?  "They pull a knife, you pull a gun.  They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue."  LOVE it and in most cases I tend to live it.  I know, I know, I'm working on that. 

Sorry folks, no sage advice here.  I think that answer will be different for each of us.  I just know it's something I need to think about and pray about when the situations arise.  There are so many questions I have for God but to be honest, if he only answered one, I think this would be it. 

Lord, help me find that high road...

1 comment:

  1. Check out Matthew 18:21-35 I think it relates to what your saying here. I feel lots of people have this same problem. It's tough to overcome. I will be praying for you as well :). Great blog by the way. Lots of good stuff.

    ReplyDelete