Thursday, November 3, 2011

Focus...



I was originally planning a rant on the comings and goings of Kim Kardashian and similar media whores, the entertainment moguls who promote them (thank you Ryan Seacrest) and the mindless millions that deify their virtual existence.  But recent events have steered my ship of discontent towards calmer waters. 

I was incredibly fortunate this past week to meet a long lost uncle and cousin I never knew existed until about a year ago.  On the heals of that event, I had an epiphany in regards to the wonderful people in my life who have provided inspiration, strength, compassion, love and friendship.  It really got me thinking, "why the hell do I want to dwell on the life of an insignificant, misguided person when I have such gifts in the family and friendships I have?"  And for that matter, why would I care about the drama and pettiness that exists much closer to me in my day to day life?  It's amazing how easy it is to lose focus on what's important in our lives. 

Maybe I'm rehashing old ideas from previous rants but this is something that bears repeating.  I have an incredibly large and wonderful family.  I have my Colorado and Nevada family.  My Portland and California family.  My Idaho and Montana family.  There's also my 14er family, my Brat family, my Facebook family and even my Texas family.  There are so many more folks that make up my circle of influences.  When I sit and meditate on it, it's incredible to realize how vast it is.  There are folks I've known for years, those I've known for months, even those I've only met once, yet they all are treasures in my life.  For all the random crap that makes up my day, it doesn't remotely measure up to all the gifts I have in the people in my life. 

I apologize to not only you, my dear friends, but to myself, for allowing myself from time to time, to slip into this coma of down right mean-spirited pettiness and resentment.  I truly need to keep the "eye on the prize" when it comes to how I embrace each and every day.  I have so much to be thankful for and so much to rejoice over. 

Here's to all of you, my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment